- Markievicz House, originally called Charlemont House, was built in 1885 at a cost of £3,000 by Sligo merchant and brewer Charles Anderson.
- After Charles Anderson’s death in 1886 William and Elizabeth Pollexfen, the maternal grandparents of William and Jack Butler Yeats leased the residence which has commanding views of Sligo Bay
- The house afforded William Pollexfen, a merchant and owner of the Sligo Steam Navigation Company, a perfect vantage for viewing his fleet.
- Both WB and Jack B spent summer holidays at the house. Several of the poet's extant letters carry this address while Jack B painted his many scenes of Sligo harbour from there.
- In 1912 the property, renamed Ardmore House, was bought on behalf of the Incorporated Society and converted into a Girls High School.
- It was later used as a TB sanatorium having been bought by Sligo County Council for £6,000 in 1948.
Distance from St Angela’s: 7.2 km